Monday, June 16, 2008

Rocky Mountain High

Come Holy Spirit! Pax Christi vobiscum!

Monks are awesome! (Bet you didn't see that line coming. Got to keep you guessing somehow.)

Friday afternoon, after having completed quasi (Italian for "almost," used by Italians quasi all the time) all my exams, I decided that it would be best to get out of town for a bit, to get refreshed, relaxed, and reloaded for my last exam and for a month of service in India this coming summer. Pray for the four of us going out there by the way. We'll need it.

So to get recharged, I decided to head to Norcia in Umbria, quasi near Assisi. Basically, think beautiful, and you've got the right picture. The town of Norcia (also known by its Latin name Nursia) is a small, medieval, walled town, in a valley completely surrounded by mountains, complete with Basilica, clock tower, and, yep, you guessed it, it's very own set of Benedictine monks.

There's a pretty good shot of the piazza right there. You can see the Basilica on the right side with the Rose Window as well as the statue of St. Benedict right there in front of it. The other building pictured is some awesome looking (government?) building, including the aforementioned clock tower. And yes, those are mountains in the background. You may now wipe the drool off your keyboard.

A bit of background: Norcia just so happens to be the birthplace of St. Benedict, the founder of the Benedictine Order of Monks. He is also known as the Father of Western Monasticism, meaning if there are Monks that are not from the East, he probably had a hand in it.

Therefore, when I say that I went to see some Benedictine Monks in Norcia, I'm telling you I saw it at its heart. These guys are all on fire for Christ, and guess what? They're all American. You can check it out for yourself. One of them, Br. Peter, is actually a good friend of mine from St. Ann. Pretty awesome, huh?

Then today, Br. Peter and I hiked up one of them there mountains. Well, actually, we drove up most of it...and then hiked. But we hiked enough so that I am not lying by saying "we hiked up it." It was an amazing view all the way up. To give you an idea of the landscapes, I'll just say that a good portion of our conversation was on Lord of the Rings. Capisce?

The best part of the trip had to be the top. The peak had a huge metal cross standing on top of it, overlooking the valleys on either side. A truly powerful image. Then there's the deep symbolism: the cross, much like the mountain, is the place where heaven meets earth.

After our "hike" down the mountain. I loaded up and headed back to Rome. I was blessed to have a wonderful conversation with this older woman from Rome. As the conversation progressed, she ended up telling me what she thought Priests needed to do. She said, "I sacerdoti hanno bisogno di inspirare i giovani." OH, sorry, I need to translate. (Heh.) Translation: "The priests need to inspire the youth." I couldn't have agreed more, and I asked her to pray for me, that I might do just that, God willing I become a priest.

Then, as I arrived in Rome, taking the Metro and walking back to the Seminary, something was weighing on my heart. It was hitting me that no one really believes in God anymore, no one really cares. There was just a sense of a void. I looked around at everyone I passed, and I could see that the eyes of many of them were filled with hurt, confusion, even hopelessness. They did not know the joy that is in our God. Then it occurred to me: if there are a billion Catholics in this world, and even more Christians in general, how can that possibly be? How can anyone possibly be without the consolation that comes only from God?

I can tell you why. I was walking proof of it. I saw all of that, and I didn't try to offer what I could. But that's just it: if we simply reach out, and even try to talk about God, about the love of Jesus Christ, a huge difference could be made in a world so desperately in need of it.

So I leave you this week with a challenge: find some way to show to someone else the love you have received from God. Offer to say a prayer for them, ask them how their faith is going, or just ask how they are doing and really listen. We've really got to start showing the love of Christ to those around us if this world is going to get any better. And if you feel like you yourself do not know this love, say this prayer:

Lord my God, I trust and know that You are there, that You love me more than I could possibly imagine. And yet I do not know You as well as I would like, and I have difficulty trusting the truth of Your great love. I also know, however, that You give to those who ask, and so I ask You in faith: please show me Your love. Grant me the peace of resting in You. I open myself to receive all that You have for me. Let Your will be done. Amen.

I ask you, please give this a shot. Our world needs it...we all need it. Count on my prayers for you, and thank you for all of yours. They are felt. God is good, no quasi about it! God bless you all!

No comments: