Monday, June 30, 2008

It's the End of the Year as We Know It

Pax Christi Vobiscum! Come Holy Spirit!

*Blink*

A year is now gone. Unbelievable. I do not think it was until my last exam finished that I realized what all had happened in this past year. So much happened in such a short period of time, and I grew a ton, both inwardly and outwardly (no such thing as an Atkin's diet in this country). I'm not even sure where to start.

So I think I will just leave you with some lessons I have learned or been learning throughout this year, and I hope they help you as much as they have helped me.

1) Patience is a virtue. The only thing Italian businesses do on time is close, so needless to say, I had to grow in patience just trying to run errands in the city. But on a more serious note (and please know that I love the Italians, no matter how many jabs I take at them), I have learned that life is a step-by-step process, and growth comes little by little. God directs us if we are willing, and He is always after us. Even as He helps us to grow, however, we must realize that He has His plan, and it does not always happen as fast as we may want. I have had to learn to "wait for God."

2) "Life is a limited experience." - This one came from my spiritual director. I have always wanted to do every good thing that comes my way, which is not possible if you desire either to keep your sanity or get any sleep. This year, however, I have learned that real freedom comes not from having many options but from choosing one of them and going for it, even if I make a mistake. Because I can never really live if I am always worried about having options. But learning the lesson and living the lesson are two different things. The latter may take a bit longer...see #1.

3) "Ordinary but good." - This year has been a year of both highs and lows, but all of them blessings, I would say. When the excitement calmed down at times though, I would think that something was wrong, that I somehow wasn't living the faith if there wasn't something big constantly happening in my life. This bit of advice helped me to relax and trust that even in the ordinary moments of the day God is at work. Because we can't always do something big...see #2.

4) "Get some sleep." This one also comes from my spiritual director. Rest is very important. Because if I am not rested I cannot pray, and if I cannot pray, I cannot really love those around me or accomplish the work before me. Ironic that I'm writing this at 1:30 in the morning....

5) "You're doing what most virtuous people think they have to do: be something they are not." This one came to me from a priest in Lourdes. He was trying to teach me that to be virtuous, to follow God, does not mean we have to become a different person, even if that person we desire to be like is Mother Teresa or Pope John Paul II. He said that it is who I am that God wants to use--and that I need to offer myself to God, not anyone else. This has helped me to just be at peace in myself, trusting that God will draw out of me the good He desires.

6) Get some sleep.

7) "Wherever you are, be all there." This one comes from back at Texas A&M. Remember how I always wanted to do everything? Well, that left me not only tired and worn thin, but I never enjoyed the present moment--I was always looking to the next thing or worrying about something long gone. I couldn't just be in the present, where God is at work. I mean, if I can't enjoy the present moment, what do I have?

8) Nap.

9) "Attitude of Gratitude." Cheesy-sounding but true. When I am thankful it is difficult to be upset about anything. It may take a conscious and active choice on my part, but even attempting to be thankful for everything I have been given helps me to lift my eyes from the mess below to the Majesty above.

10) "Love Alone is Credible" - This one is the title of a work by Hans Urs von Balthasar (doesn't the name just make you want to read it?), a theologian of this past century. I think the idea is perfect, though: everyone knows what love is when they experience it, and it is love (or should I say Love?) that brings people to believe in the Faith. I hope to witness to that Love.

Well, I think that covers it.

I leave you with those reflections as I now prepare to head to Calcutta, India. Mike, Chris, Chris, and myself will leave on Tuesday to serve the poorest of the poor with the Missionaries of Charity, the order founded by Mother Teresa. Please pray for us, both that we get there safely and return safely. Please pray also for those many souls who suffer much there in India.

Thank you all for reading and for your constant, prayerful support of all of us seminarians. God bless! Now it's time for me to practice lessons 4, 6, and 8...in that order. Ciao for niao!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Hey bud! I miss you! Hope you are having fun in India if you ever come back to the blog and read this! We went to Steubenville again this past weekend, and I totally told my small group about what a cool seminarian you are. Alright, peace and God bless.