Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Providence: The Only Cardinal Direction

Pax Christi vobiscum! Come Holy Spirit!

Wow...

Simply wow....

I seriously have just had about the 5 most blessed days of my entire life. Please, share my joy. You read some of what happened on Saturday, but it's taken off almost exponentially since then. Allow me to bring you up to speed.

So Saturday: The Consistory -- I got to see the Pope elevate 23 Archbishops to the College of Cardinals (which is not a school for birds, by the way). That means that the Pope made 23 new Princes of the Church. Let me put it this way: the Church is HUGE! It is truly Catholic--"Catholic" meaning Universal. There were Cardinals from Italy, the United States, even Iraq (among other places). Not only that, but God is constantly renewing His Church! These men, acting under the guidance of the Holy Spirit will select the next Pope...or possibly become the next Pope.

Saturday evening: The Reception in the Papal Palace. Yes, you read that correctly. Now, here's how the event played out for me, quite Providentially. The event began around 4:30, but I allowed myself a chance to rest up a bit (and write a blog post), and then I ventured down to St. Peter's to wait in line, arriving around 5:15 p.m. Well, the lines, true to Italian fashion, were actually just an amorphous blob of people trying to force themselves through 5 tiny metal-detectors. Except there was a problem: they weren't allowing anyone through for 45 minutes. So this amorphous blob was also immobile. Fun, huh?

Well I was just saying, "God, if you want, you can get me in." The event was only supposed to last until 6:30 or so, so I was concerned when I was just getting through the security gates at 6:15. I turned left to approach the bronze doors where stood the ever-present Swiss Guard (or La Guardia Svizzera). Unfortunately, I discovered, that there was another line (amorphous blob) forming to the right of the doors...meaning I couldn't just waltz right through. I would have had to wait another who knows how many minutes there. Well, sure enough, as I was turning back to get in the "line," the Diocese of Tyler (neighbor of Dallas) showed up. Nolan and Brandon (friends of mine) and their Bishop and the Rector of their Cathedral showed up just then. They said I could join them, and we plowed right through those doors (Let's just say, Bishops are good for more than putting Kings in check...I just got it!).

So we proceeded all the way into the Papal Palace, no problem, and then we were able to jump the lines as well. I got to see 6 Cardinals in 45 minutes--it's good to have the Bishop there.

I praise God for arranging that so perfectly! I was on cloud-nine for quite some time after that--I'm telling you it's Providence. When you let God write the story, He always gives you a good one to tell (that's also the point of the Bible--greatest story ever told). I mean, I think it takes more faith to say that this event was the product of mere chance. But either way you try to call it (Providence or chance), you are making an act of faith--I just happen to be making the right choice--heh.

But that's not all....

Sunday: I woke up a bit late and was probably not going to make it in to the Mass of the Rings without a higher ranking ticket than my general admission white ticket. But I knew that if God wanted me to be in there, He'd take care of it. Well, on my way out, I ran into a certain Priest I know who happened to have an extra blue ticket (for a better section). He gave it to me, and get this: not only did I make it in no sweat, but I also got to walk up the center isle to get to my section. That...was pretty crazy. When I got to my section, I met an awesome Priest from Mexico City, and we spoke in Italian...all fits together, right? Only in God's awesome way.

Then, Tuesday: I got to serve at the Mass of Thanksgiving for Cardinal DiNardo, the new Cardinal for the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston...in Santa Maria Maggiore (one of the 4 Major Basilicas of Rome). What a blessing! Check it out here:

http://blogs.chron.com/dinardo/2007/11/glittering_like_gold.html

It was truly a beautiful Mass, and I am excited for the Church in Texas! What hope we have, and what a gift we have received in the person of Cardinal DiNardo! He is a great man who will serve faithfully the people of Texas and the United States.

Then, as icing on the cake, I got to meet Cardinal McCarrick today. He was so fatherly and really down-to-earth, and we had a great conversation. I just can't put all of this together....

So basically, I don't know what to do...other than thank God. I arranged none of this; I sought none of it out...at least not more than putting myself there and trusting in God. I'm telling you, God just wants to give us every good gift if we would simply turn everything over to Him. Even just most of what we have. As long as we are taking steps to get there, asking God to take more and more of us--so that He can give us even greater gifts in return. I'm not saying it will be easy, but it will be worth it. If we just turn it over, He will Provide. I promise you. Trust in His Providence, and ask Him where He wants to take you. You will not be disappointed.

Glory to God!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Having once been part of an immobile amorphous blob at St. Peters (whether for Easter Vigil Mass or a reception similar to this one), I feel your pain. Congratulations on being able to skip ahead, however. Just a word of warning - some nuns in amorphous blobs can get impatient and when they get impatient, they could get violent. I almost celebrated Easter 2001 with a black eye if I hadn't ducked when a nun (or at least a woman dressed as a nun) tried to elbow her way in front of me. I wanted to tell her (if I had known enough Italian), "this is the Lord's house... there's plenty of room for everyone."

Mike K. said...

Paul!

You probably have no clue who I am. Your proud Aunt Theresa forwarded me the link to your blog. We met a couple times way back when (geez, you were just a little kid!), and I actually ran into you at A&M your freshman year at COSGA when I brought a group of my students to the conference, but haven't seen you since. I am so pleased to hear that you are a seminarian and my family will be praying for you, and following your progress. What an incredible experience you described in this post! I just moved back to Texas and I'm also thrilled to have a Texan as a new Cardinal. Hey, if America is ever going to have a Pope, it's gotta be a Texan, right?!?!

God Bless!
Mike Knox

Unknown said...

Paul, Your very precious and very proud Aunt Theresa sent me a link to your blog thinking that I might enjoy hearing of your experiences, and take inspiration from your faith and passion for our Lord. How right she was!!! While I haven't read your entire blog (and how really impressive it is by the way), what I have read has been entertaining, stirring and has served as a nice little reminder today of what a truly magnificent Lord we serve - and this response from a Protestant! ;-). I have visited Rome, and even though I am not Catholic visiting St. Peter’s and the Vatican was such a moving experience, I can only imagine what a truly singular adventure this must be for you. I’ve bookmarked your blog and plan to check in on you frequently. I will pray that this experience is just a beautiful beginning to a life spent in constant wonder and amazement of our spectacular God. You sound like an extraordinary person - much like your aunt whom I love and miss very much now that she has moved away from me. God bless and Godspeed. ~ Casey Erickson www.ericksonweb.com

Paolo said...

I just want to thank you all for your comments. They are really encouraging, and I'm glad you all are enjoying the blog. It's great to be able to share my experience here with all of you back home. And thank you Aunt Theresa for being my promoter! God bless you all, and Merry Christmas!

Sarah, I will be warry of the nuns. They do have a bad habit of staking out their territory (pun intended).

Michael, I agree--Texan Pope, no doubt. The only thing as good as a Shepherd is a Cowboy, in my mind at least.

Casey, thank you for your encouragement--it is blessing to be here, and if you ever have the chance, I wouldn't mind hearing more of your story. I will have to check in on your blog. Beautiful family by the way. God bless!