Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Six Month-iversary!

Pax Christi vobiscum! Come Holy Spirit!

************
*****************
**********************
*************************
********** *********
********* *********
*********** **********
**************************
**********************
****************


That's a really bad firework explosion, but it's celebrating a really good event: James and I have now lived in another country for 6 months, to the day! And neither of us are legal citizens yet! Only in Italy!

It is amazing, first, how fast the time flew by (the only thing that moves quickly in this country is the time), and, second, how much has happened. There have been so many graced moments, many challenges, and a faithful God behind them all. I need to be more thankful than I am, at all that I have received. Even the challenges have been blessings, and I have grown so much. I know I have a long way to go, but I look forward to every step, because I know Who is guiding me. As C. S. Lewis said, "I may not know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future." We really can have a lot of peace when we entrust our lives to God--I'm definitely still working on it, but I know that much. I may struggle with the surrender, but at least it's a struggle...I suppose, right? (insert ceaseless affirmations from you here). Aw, shucks. Thanks, guys.

Well, now that I feel so good about myself, I should tell you that I can now read! Some of you are saying, "About time," while others are saying, "No way," and the other (wiser) ones among you are asking, "Whatever do you mean, Paul?"

"Good question," I respond.

"I know," you all reply.

"Get over yourselves...I mean, *cough, cough*, absolutely right," I say as I hastily move on.

Well, I am now an officially instituted Lector or Reader for Mass and Morning and Evening Prayer (from the Liturgy of the Hours, which can be prayed by clergy or the laity)--basically, I have received the second order of Holy Orders. So I have taken one small step for me, one giant leap for me-kind (i.e. the other guys in my class). I received Candidacy before I left the States, meaning that I am now a Candidate for the Priesthood, and just this last Sunday we New Men were instituted as Lectors by Archbishop Gregory of the Archdiocese of Atlanta, Georgia. He handed us the Lectionary, or the book of Readings for Holy Mass, and he said, "Take this book of Holy Scripture and be faithful in handing on the Word of God, so that it may grow strong in the hearts of His People."

"Amen," was our response. Now we have been commissioned by the Church to proclaim the Word of God. It may not seem like much, but it is, and it really was a good discernment opportunity for me; it really gave me a sense of what it will be like on my Ordination day, God willing. I will kneel before the Bishop, and he will lay hands on me, and I will be ordained. There's more to it than that, but it's a good taste of what's to come; and it all seemed right. So praise God for that!

Well, please keep us in your prayers as we take on this new ministry, that we may be faithful in our duty and help bring others closer to God. And please pray for our exams! They are rapidly approaching, and I have a lot of catching up to do (remember that whole thing about time moving quickly? Well, my study habits didn't...). So please keep us in prayer, and know that you all have been in mine. Remember, God is good!

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, on your own intelligence rely not. In all your ways be mindful of Him, and He will make straight your paths." - Proverbs 3:5-6

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Paul! We still miss you over at HNOJ! Sounds like you are having a blast over there in Italy. Hope all is swell. I only have half of my senior year of high school left! I know how you feel about exams! Anyway, peace be with you! Have a great time!

Paolo said...

Great to hear from you, Amanda! Enjoy that last semester--it goes by quickly. Tell everyone back there I said Ciaody. God bless!