Sunday, December 16, 2007

Life Keeps on Rollin' Along

Pax Christi vobiscum! Come Holy Spirit!

I hope everything is going well back in the States! I definitely miss seeing you all, driving in a car that shifts gears for me...or at all, and hearing my own language...oh, and hamburgers, huge, juicy, send-you-to-a-hospital-(a good American hospital)-good hamburgers.

I have to share some of the great things happening over here lately. Let's see...

1) Last Saturday, December 8th, on the feast of the Immaculate Conception we had something of an immaculate reception, since Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception is the college's patroness. It was a wonderful Pranzo (Italian for "lunch so good you won't have to eat lunch again"). Afterwards, Deacon Tom, Father Jason, and I all went for a Rosary Walk descending from the hill, dipping into part of ancient Rome, and then heading back up the Via Conciliazione to La Piazza di San Pietro (the Plaza in front of St. Peter's). We finished at 6:00 p.m. (Eleven o'clock your time), in time to pray the Angelus while facing the Marian Mosaic on the side of St. Peter's. It was truly a blessing.

2) Then, later that night, I think I became the first person to "skype" into a wedding. That's right, I got to watch my good buddy and and his fiancee, also a friend of mine, get married back at A&M, LIVE from the comfort of my own PJ's...err, I mean room. It was the closest I've ever been to bi-locating. Actually, it was like having my own personal, interactive EWTN Mass. Though I couldn't interact much...they muted me. Who would do that...don't answer.

So yes, I got to be "present" for their wedding from the balcony, watching the whole wedding unfold, live before my own eyes on a skype video call. How amazing is that? Then I actually got to talk with some of my old friends from A&M and even the Bride and Groom, after all of their pictures and such. It was really something else. And yes, I must admit, it was my idea. I thought, "John Paul II encouraged us to use our new technology for the new Evangelization, so why not for a wedding?" Go big or go overseas, right?

I thank God for the opportunity though, and it really was a blessing to see them. I had trouble believing it was happening the whole time I was watching it.

3) The next day, Sunday evening, some of us went to a Legionaires of Christ dinner. A smaller group of us were asked to put together a little musical ensemble to play a few Marian songs as entertainment. Well, Mike, Luke, Llane, Joe, and I all got up there and sang/played the guitar...and they liked it. Even after they had their entire 40 piece orchestra perform Neil Diamond's "America"...those Legionaires. I must admite though, it was pretty sweet (Caroline).

Actually, though, the whole experience made me realize how much I want to glorify God through that kind of performance. Having acted in the past, I realize how easy it can be to have the act become about yourself--it can be a real fight to give the glory to God. This time, however, since the songs were so clearly directed to God's Mother, Mary, it was easier to make it a prayer. I think that's why it got so much applause.

4) Then, on Monday, I attended a Scavi Tour led by one of our very own NAC seminarians, Adam, and attended by a lot of Australians...including one of their Cardinals. Ironically enough, we then proceeded to go down under...the Basilica that is, to see the Tomb and the Bones of St. Peter, the Prince of the Apostles, the first Pope, who walked with Jesus, on water to Jesus, away from Him, and back to Him on the shore. And Peter's tomb is directly beneath the high altar of St. Peter's Basilica, where the Pope celebrates the Holy Mass. Thank God for the Roman Catholic Church!

Well, I need to get going. But I hope to update soon and very soon. Remember to really prepare for Christ's coming. Make room for Him in your hearts through small sacrifices, that when He comes He may find more than just a manger in which to rest. Only 9 days til Christmas!

Oh, and please pray for my family as they prepare to visit, that their pilgrimage here would be rejuvenating both physically and spiritually. And pray for their safety. Thank you so much, and know you all have my prayers. God bless!

No comments: